Saturday 15 October 2011

Scope's Goals

Is it wrong to run for a charity because their name coincides with your Gamertag? I have argued not, and suspect that it lies within a moral grey order, which pits motives against donations. And a free t-shirt... that has my name on it. But with so many charities, the money is still going to charity, and there are so many to choose from. People choose because they have lost family to cancer, because they saw a donkey on an advert, because they're still smoking and fear the future. I'm going to run for Scope.

The London ballot process is notoriously difficult to slide through, with 1 in 5 (made up fact) being successful. There is even a rule that if you are declined 5 years in a row you will be automatically entered next year. This year, my first year to apply for the marathon lottery has been successful, and in april I will run the 26.2 miles and complete the London Marathon. Huzzah!

It's one of my "things to do before you die", sitting alongside "Skydive" and "Walk the Pennines". For obvious reasons I'm saving Skydiving until last (because, despite how safe it turns out to be, my parachute was packed by the bad guy from a contrived soap opera). Adding writing a novel next month and maintaining 100% attendance, I'm somehow being productive this year. I just need my Dad to get better...

Fun fact: I have, to increase my chances of passing the ballot, pledged a time of 3:30 for the marathon, that's 9 minute miles. I have been wished luck from behind grins every time I have mentioned this. Suddenly I want to run.

2 comments:

  1. I was doing well with my 100% then damn freshers flu took it away from me...I suppose there's always next semester.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with that! I'm sure you can do it, you stallion!

    ReplyDelete