Sunday 9 October 2011

Why I Will Never Post Book Excerpts

There are two main reasons why I won't post parts of my book. Don't get me wrong, there's no pretension that I am of any skill whatsoever, but even a beggar won't strip for free.

Number One: I am irrationally paranoid. This doesn't just apply to the reason I won't post, it's a pretty general trait. In this case, it means that I worry my awkward and contrived prose will be seized by some plagiarist ninjas, who constantly scour the web for the next Twilight (if they do find the next Twilight, I can only hope it is poisonous and the author and everybody who praise it are found dead, choked to death on their own over-romantic ecstacy.)

Number Two: My book is my baby. My poor, malformed, ill-concieved baby, and I love it, but I'd rather keep it in the house, behind closed doors and locked windows, because I don't want the local neighbourhood kids to lead it into the woods and stone it to death. It's a fear much bigger than number one, because I can live with somebody stealing my child (and consequently locking it in a basement) , but if they hate it, that's a whole different matter.

There are many other reasons, but I think those are the main two. I can't count "because I procrastinate so much" as a reason because one day I might actually come round to writing it. Or maybe I'll visit a blog and find a misshapen baby to steal.

1 comment: